Thursday, July 16, 2015

THE D.S.P.


Patron Saint of Australia, Michael Leunig


APPLICATION FOR DISABILITY SUPPORT PENSION(DSP)

SHELL-SHOCKED


In the post-psychosis after-life,
I dissolved, so my husband 
Supports me in sickness and 
In health till death by a deep
Depressive catastrophic sea-level 
Rise,
Perhaps...

No malingerer, yet never good enough;
Tried to work as factory fodder, shop-girl,
Girl-Friday but after a time my mind
Was washed up on a different shore.

My armour plates were shed  
To sad/istic souls, feelings sunk
Like buried news of crustaceans in our
 Acid ocean, burned by brutal care-less Capital.

I have to be a house-wife contained 
As a sensitive flower, no longer an 
Angel of the house, or the morning,
Bereft of protection against an overload
Of Reason, critique and bullying tactics,
Expectations everywhere like poisoned darts.

So, I require poetry, beauty, and a 
Garden, with landscape as if I was 
Entitled through DNA, my birth-right,
To feebly step, corseted, fragile
Lady of aristocratic lineage
Dependant on Man or Minister.

If I'm sent off the grid to pauper status
Resilience limited, reclusive in my
Green valley, perpetual convalescence
Shelled to an inch of flesh and heart,
I curse the radio news
You Christian MP's will be damned and go to Hell!

A Silent curse when a Commonwealth safety-net
Is begrudgingly given in it's redistribution to those
Of us damaged, at a disadvantage by Providence.





Protected Species on a
Queensland mountain top.


Australian voices contribute to this guide
 including mine!


(c)copyright J.McNeill July 2015
Shell-shocked poem
all rights reserved

BUILDING RESILIENCE
BITE BACK is an evolving space for you to discover ways to amplify the good stuff in life, share real, personal stories with others, check out videos, blogs and interviews of interesting people, read up on important issues, check and track your mental fitness, and enter awesome comps.

Great link for Young people seeking well-being.






2 comments:

  1. You sound very sad in this piece. Never forget how much you are loved, dear Julie, and f**k this fascist dictatorship government and their inhumane policies. It's a reflection on them, not you. Liz xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came back from interview with Job Capacity Officer at Centrelink feeling less anxious and encouragement to keep up with my novel writing.

    ReplyDelete