Friday, December 12, 2014

Labor for Palestine and Israel



Listening to Lior, on my Queenslander verandah, my Safe Haven home, retreat and recovery centre for my Soul ~

IT OCCURRED TO ME, NOT A DAY GOES BY WITHOUT MY SWITCHING TOO AND FRO ABOUT THE INTEGRITY OF LABOR'S PARTY PLATFORM.

How was the party I had joined in 2004 progressed on the social justice issues which for some innate reason, were my passionate concern? As if the cruelty and breach of International Law in regard to Refugees and off-shore detention wasn't enough, 
the plight of the Palestinians occupy my thoughts. 

Every time I hear or read about another Jewish family occupying the homes of Palestinians it is incomprehensible. It is exactly what the Nazi's did to the Jews. 

I happened upon WIVENHOE BRANCH whose MEMBERS FELT similarly. WE HAD A PRESENTATION OF THE SITUATION AT A MEETING AND ALSO WENT INTO BRISBANE TO LISTEN TO POINTS OF VIEW FROM DIFFERENT STAKEHOLDERS.

I DISCOVERED ALP MEMBER FOR BLAIR SHAYNE NEUMANN WAS A "Friend of Israel". I didn't understand what this meant. I assumed he would be a friend of Palestine too to be fair.

Labor's policy is to support the Two State Solution, but I also perceived that he was more one sided or lop-sided towards the arguments of Israel. 
In deed, during these years two massive military attacks on the Palestinian people and increasing settlements of Jews on Palestinian land and occupation of their homes makes our Labor MP's go quiet.

I can only think it is about money river. MP's receive donations for campaigns or paid trips to Israel. It's a guess this impedes the political and humanitarian impetus to speak out against the destruction and sanctions of Israel towards Palestinians.

Labor really has to rethink and debate this policy. I'm not the only one! Today, Crikey published this welcome contribution: 
Labor for Palestine: It's About Time

Banksy street artist Christmas card.

The Australian Labor Party’s (ALP’s) policy on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, when it won the November 2007 federal election, is best represented in the party’s National Platform and Constitution 2007:
Labor is convinced that all Australians seek a lasting and equitable solution to the problems that have worked against stability and development in the Middle East. Labor will pursue a sustained Australian engagement in the Arab/Israeli conflict based on the rights of all people in the Middle East to peace and security and livelihood .... Labor believes that urgent attainment of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the best way to reduce violence and conflict across the Middle East.[2]




No comments:

Post a Comment